While games still dominate the mobile app market, mobile healthcare (mHealth) apps have been showing explosive growth in the last year, with no signs of slowing down. How much growth are we talking about? According to a report in GlobalData.com the global mHealth market was worth $1.2 billion in 2011, but will reach $11.8 billion by 2018. That’s some serious growth.
Right now, about 70% of these mHealth apps are consumer-based, like apps that help users track their daily calorie intake and exercise regimes. The remaining 30% are doctor-based and tend to be more sophisticated, allowing access to patient information, or creating 3D anatomical models.